Yoga for pregnancy and birth
These classes are carefully designed to help you stay comfortable throughout your pregnancy, effectively prepare physically and mentally for labour and birth, and help you feel calm, nurtured and empowered at this very special time of your life.
Safe, deeply relaxing, informative and light-hearted, they are an ideal complement to your antenatal care and antenatal education.
My classes focus on SAFE, NURTURING and ENJOYABLE yoga-based practices designed to address your particular needs at each stage of your pregnancy. These aim to:
- support your changing body, creating strength and more space where needed as your baby grows, to help you stay comfortable
- help you enjoy (regain) ease of movement and feel revitalised
- prevent or provide relief from common pregnancy discomforts (back pain, pelvic pain, heartburn, leg cramps, diastasis, etc)
- release tension, stress and anxiety, promoting better sleep and a calmer pregnancy
- deepen your awareness of your pelvis & birthing muscles
- prepare you physically and mentally for labour, birth and the transition to motherhood, helping you feel positive and empowered
- connect with your baby and enjoy the magical time of pregnancy
These original, simple yet effective practices are based on 30 years of research and teaching, and are endorsed by the Royal College of Midwives. Birthlight is also a member of FEDANT (Federation of Antenatal Educators).
What to expect
Regardless of whether you opt for a group pregnancy yoga class, or a private session in your home, each class will include:
- postures, micro-movements, relaxed stretching and flow sequences to strengthen, release tension and renew energy
- specific breathing techniques for pregnancy and birth, to feel calm, connected and centred while riding the changes of pregnancy, and to support you during labour and birth
- exercises to promote elasticity and stability of the pelvic floor (as opposed to tone), the best foundation for birth and postnatal recovery
- integrated optimal labouring and birthing positions, combined with breath, sound and movement
- positive affirmations and visualisations
- a long, deep guided relaxation at the end of the class, to rest and renew
Each class is loosely based on a theme exploring various aspects of pregnancy, birth, and the transition to motherhood, providing an opportunity to discuss topics that might be on your mind, to further guide you and support you on your journey to motherhood.
Who are the classes for?
These classes are for women from 14 weeks of pregnancy up until the birth of your baby (even past your due date).
They are just as beneficial and adapted to experienced yoga practitioners, to for mothers-to-be who have no yoga experience. All levels of fitness and flexibility welcome. Many women who attend have never been to a yoga class before.
If you are still in your first trimester, you might want to consider my fertility yoga classes which offer just the right type of practice for this crucial time of your pregnancy.
If you are approaching the term of your pregnancy, you might be interested in my yoga for labour and birth workshop, which is a great complement to the pregnancy classes.
one-to-one at home
pregnancy yoga classeS
Private classes in the comfort of your own home are a great option, especially if you:
- need flexibility in the days and times when you can attend a session, or wish to have a class once your children are in bed
- suffer from a specific condition, such as pelvic girdle pain or SPD, as the whole class contents will be tailored around your needs
- would like to focus on the birth preparation aspect, and possibly take the classes with your partner – see also my yoga birth preparation workshop
Private classes are available as a single class (perfect for a taster class), package of 3 classes or package of 6 classes.
Private sessions can also be delivered remotely via Zoom.
Chiswick pregnancy yoga Classes
Mondays| 7.30pm – 8.30pm | Children’s Wellness Centre, Chiswick
Suitable from 14 weeks of pregnancy.
All equipment provided.
Next dates: Classes are not running at present. We are however registering interest in the hope to relaunch the classes very soon. If you would like to add your name to the list, please simple drop me a line via the contact form.
Let's keep in touch
Subscribe to my mailing list to receive tips, resources, offers and hear first about upcoming classes and workshops.